Select an option:

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Day 47 - November 13th (Day 20 of 65)

Not much happened today at the property. Took my father over for a look, and that was about it.


I've started to look into decking options. We plan to deck the portico and the outdoor room. I am thinking about doing this myself at the moment, and have been looking up various sources on building decks. Probably the most useful are some images I have found from others that have built a Metricon home, as it gives me some thoughts as to how I might build it at our place.

The images below is from this site and I suspect this is how I will do it.I like this method as it provides a way to adjust everything BEFORE you add the concrete, and for someone who is building a deck for the first time, I think this will be valuable.





Another site I have seen has done the deck a little differently, using timber as the footings, then laying bearers and then the joists on top of this. I think this design might be better for a deck that is sitting up higher than what I want.....?




In my search for info, I also found a great guide. Some it is very relevant...other parts not so much...

I have found dome other documents which relate specifically to timber types etc as well.
I have started looking at Google sketchup again, to assist me with my design. You can download it here.


One of the good things about this program, is you do not need any experience with it. It has some great training here that will get you up and running.

I used it when designing the Family room




The weather forecast:


Brisbane Forecast
Issued at 8:30 pm EST on Saturday 13 November 2010

Warning Summary
Nil.

Forecast for Saturday Evening
Mostly fine, just a brief shower or two. Light to moderate NE winds. 

Precis:       Mostly fine, shower or two

Forecast for Sunday
Mostly fine, just an early shower or two. Light to moderate NE winds.           
   

Precis:       Mostly fine, early shower                       
City:         Min 20    Max 28
Bayside:      Min 19    Max 27
UV Alert:     7:20 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 16 [Extreme]

Monday        Possible early shower.                 Min 20    Max 28
Tuesday       A shower or two.                       Min 19    Max 29
Wednesday     A few showers, possibly increasing to rain    Min 20    Max 28
Thursday      A few showers                          Min 20    Max 27
Friday        Showers                                Min 19    Max 27
Saturday      A few showers                          Min 19    Max 28

The next routine forecast will be issued at 4:50 am EST Sunday.
        

The rainfall forecast:




2 comments:

  1. I've never had any contractors work on a Saturday. I don't think that will ever change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It is interesting to note that it seems to happen quite frequently on the two story houses though..... ? :->

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments below. I'd love to hear from you!!