Select an option:

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 97 - January 2nd (Day 44 of 65)

Worked out the design for the front deck today. Also had a look back through the photos and noticed that the spacing is around 30cm between the nails in the photos so I added some more beams to nail into in the front patio.




And then added some more beams for the rear deck as well.








So I needed to increase the number of joist hangers as a result. Now we can add the extra onto the order and finalise it.
  1. 45 meters + 10 meters (55 total) of 90 x 90mm H4 treated pine for the bearers  ($11.80 / m)
     ~  $649 
  2. 125 meters + 35 meters (160 total) of 90 x 45mm H4 treated pine for the trim and lead joists ($4.75 / m)
     ~ $760
  3. 480 meters + 100 meters (580 total) of 90 x 19mm Merbau hardwood select grade. ($3.98 / m) ~ $2308.4
  4. 30 + 10 (40 total) x stirrups holders and 192 x 12 mm bolts, washers and nuts. ($8.25 each + ~$6 for nuts and bolts each stirrup?)  ~ $330 + $240
  5. 200 + 40 = 240 joist hangers for 90 x 45 mm timber ~ less than $2 each ~ $480
  6. Concrete (Found this today as well - $7.95 per 20 kg bag). I think ?? (need advice) that I need 1.5 bags per hole = 45 bags + 15 bags (60 bags total) ~ $477
  7. Screws x 3000 ~ $300 (You can work out the number of screws required by using this formula

    Number of lineal metres       x       Number of screws at each joist
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Space between joists
    So for my situation its 580 x 2 / 0.448 = 2589 so 3000 is the closest.
Total : $5544 maximum for these items (Priced at bunnings)

Today my wife, the children and I went to Ikea at Loganholme here in Brisbane. Massive store. I actually wanted to show her some of the sofas I found here. We we ended up buying one at Bay Leather Republic and got the delivery included.  The sofa was nice and firm, and is entirely made from leather. It was quite comfortable.  
We have arranged delivery for late February, by which time we hope to have moved in!


5 comments:

  1. I am looking at doing a similar thing with the porch and alfresco at my place

    Timber queensland has produced a technical data sheet (no.13) for 'Residential Timber Decks close to or on ground' which I found very helpful. (good info on timber sizes / spans / spacing / fixing)

    I downloaded it from the jimboomba timbers website. You may have already seen it but heres a link to where I found if you havent:

    http://www.jimboombatimbers.com.au/Residential%20Timber%20Decks%20close%20to%20ground.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nevets,

    Yes. I have got a copy of this and used it when selecting the timber type. I also found no 15 and no. 25 useful. I found another guide called 'How do I build a deck version1.3.pdf' which contains some useful tips. It's available here: http://www.decksbydesign.com.au/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=68&Itemid=53

    Bunnings also had a guide 'D.I.Y Timber Deck' - which is quite useful. Cost was $2.98.

    The drawings on your site. What did you use to do them with? I have a similar thing (floor plan only) for our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks I will have to check those out.

    The images on my blog are done in google 'sketch-up' its nice and easy to use and best of all its free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a similar set of sofa's at Nick Scalli, they were on special, only to find another similar style sofa at Plush, which had a better set of legs on it. Same price, but I liked the wooden legs, as opposed to chromed steel. Although I did find an ideal lounge suite for our family area with a chaise. I'm going to love lying on it in my new home with a large TV in front watching special sporting events.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prolix. Your posts have now been banned! I really dislike you advertising your site, when you had nothing to do with the building of this deck. I have asked you before to stop your adverts, but you have persisted.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments below. I'd love to hear from you!!