Select an option:

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 110 - January 15th (Day 50 of 65)

 Well I didn't get out to the property today. At 9am I left Garden City Shopping Centre after I had registered at the Macgregor School. They provided everyone who didn't have them, with hats, gloves and sunscreen.

We left Garden City and ended up going through the city, along Coronation drive. I took some pictures on my phone.

--
The Drift restaurant. One end of it floated away.





--
The next two photos show a floating walkway out to the boats, that has been ripped up and thrown onto the side of the bank. It's a little hard to see. It's right beneath the no standing sign... (Click on the picture) 


--
The Brisbane Ferry terminal... Gone.



When we did got past Coronation drive, we headed towards Indooroopilly.  From Coronation drive, through to Oxley where we helped out, it took 3 hours. The total time for the bus trip there was 3.5 hours! One guy got off and said he'd walk...never saw him again.

Once we got there we had to find someone who needed a hand. We headed down the streets. Most of the houses had been gutted already. The water level was amazing. It;s fine to hear someone say it went to the roof, but to see it is another thing altogether as you get an idea of the amount of water that has gone through the place. One thing I noted was the smell. It was exactly what you get at the tip.

I ended up going to a couple of houses and spent most of my time at the house pictured below. They had already pulled out almost everything, so I chipped away at the plasterboard that was stuck to the roof, and then we had to remove the cork floor that was in the kitchen. That stuff is glued down so much so, that if the house had washed away, the cork floor would still be there. after a couple of hours, and with around eight of us on the job, we had it removed.

They then started up a generator they had and started to spray the walls with bleach. By that time it was time to get going else I'd miss picking up my wife from her work. 

--
This was taken from their upstairs floor. Luckily the water didn't get to this height...The neighbors however, were not so lucky.

--
The insides of all these homes is now on the street.

--
This is the home I worked in. The water made it just shy of the second level.

--
You can see the brown soil stuck in this bush.

--
The water level made it to above the word POD.


3 comments:

  1. Good on you for helping out!! The whole thing is surreal. I can't imagine what it would be like or where you would start. There's nothing like the good old Aussie spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its heartbreaking to see it all! So nice to see you are helping out..they defintely need all the help they can get! Good on you Richard :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spirit of everyone there was great. The owners were greatful for all the support, thanking everyone who helped. I didn't go there today. the support has been overwhelming for the teams running it, and they have had to turn people away. I will go again next weekend to see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments below. I'd love to hear from you!!