Select an option:

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day 237 - May 21st (Day 93)

This week we had the solar panels installed by FreeSolar. When we purchased the unit in April it cost $6995 for the 3kW unit. Today it costs $9550. I'm sure glad we did it back then!

They came by last Wednesday, and installed the panels on the roof. Our home faces the wrong direction, and I didn't really want 16 solar panels sitting on the front of the house, so I opted to put them on either side of the main roof. It sort of  keeps them hidden. I really didn't realise however, just how many panels we could get on this roof. I reckon we could have 4-5 times the number of panels that we have now, and still have space.

They added the inverter to the side of the wall with the powerbox, and added two switches so you are able to turn off one of the solar banks if needed. This then goes onto the inverter, where the voltage is converted up to 240V. This then comes out and travels to the mains, where it is then fed into the power on the street.

The lady at FreeSolar pointed out, that with the way things are set up, it is best if you try not to run any powered devices during the day, but instead run them at night. You see, your solar panels generate power (obviously) during the day and export this power to the grid at a cost to the grid of 44 - 52 cents per kilowatt hour of power. The difference is that you may be paying 16 -20 cents for your power, hence it makes sense not to use your power during the day, otherwise you won't have any power to export out to the grid during the day as you will be using it and won't make any money from your system.....  Not sure how the clothes will manage though being wet at night ? :->

Using a 3KW system, you could hope to have it generate 12.6kWh per day. Using the minimum feed in tarriff of 44 cents, your system would generate $5.54 per day ($6.55 if you managed to get 52 cents!). this would generate an annual savings of $2022.10 per year on the 44cent feed in tarriff ($2390.75 on the 42 cent tarriff) meaning it should take around 3 and a half years minimum before it pays itself off. Over 20 years it would generate $40,442 (assuming that the feed in tarriff stays the same? I have know idea whether this might happen though..!)

Another way to look at it is that it also would increase the value of a house. I mean, if you had the same house, side by side, one with and another without solar panels, I'd pay a little extra for the one with the panels knowing the long term savings I'll make.

We are now waiting for Energex to get back to us, to arrange a module they have to add to the power box, which counts the power exported to the grid. Then the system will be switched on.

Off to the photos...











.

10 comments:

  1. sounds like a fantastic idea, eventually the energy company will be paying you for your contribution to the grid!! too bad the government has cut the rebates though, otherwise more people could afford to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, do you have a north facing home? Those figures you calculated is based on having nothing on during the day, and on the assumption that all days be sunny. Still a good investment though. Yes the power companies could easily change the buy back rate at anytime. Let's hope it's anytime soon hey. Looking good though.

    I can't wait til ours go up. We are at week 2 of an 10week waiting list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have said "hope it's NOT anytime soon"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys long time no post? How about an update?? Look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got my connection to the grid last week. How about you Robert?

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm...Will need to ring them. Its been 9 weeks already and we are still not connected.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's quite frustrating that all that power isn't being used. What a waste! If I can keep my power usage to power back to the grid ratio at 2:1 then I will be happy. Meaning I pay nothing. Which is where I am upto now, since the reset.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah. Sent them an email and will be ringing them on Monday....!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jay,

    Did you get your system through Enegerex perhaps? Spoke with them today, and they said it would be connected bu the 11th of August.

    There was no explanationas to why the time difference between us.

    I am wondering if you got yours through a different means, which might have got it connected quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robert,

    I got my package through Origin, who is my provider for electricity. Maybe they know people that can get things done faster, but I highly doubt that. Ultimately it will be Energex who comes to connect it all. I think the company you bought it from has no say in when it can be done. I know when the original contract was sent, it did say 8-10 weeks for panel installation, then an additional 8-10 weeks for energex contractors to come and connect to the grid.

    I guess I was lucky because when the Energex guy came (which was a Saturday) he said he was only doing this area today. It's not like he had to run around town doing jobs here and there. Had I missed him, he might have come for another 5 weeks. So I guess the guy will get around to your area soon.

    It's ridiculous, because it takes him 5 minutes to complete the work. Part of it is resetting your meter to 0.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comments below. I'd love to hear from you!!